This
week we had the opportunity to meet R*. He has been a member of the church for
29 years. However, 23 years ago (when he was about to go on a mission) he fell
away. He just lost interest. Over the past few months, his life has fallen
apart. A few weeks ago he decided that he needed to start praying again. He got
the courage to talk to a member who lived in the area who gave him the bishop’s
number. He said he knows if he wants to be happy and successful he needs to
return to church. So this is what he is doing. We met with him last Saturday in
his home. His wife is evangelical and of another faith. However, we had a fantastic message on the
Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Sunday morning arrived and R* rode his bike the few miles
to church, with his five year old daughter on the handlebars. I have never seen
someone so happy when he walked through those doors of the chapel. It was fast
and testimony meeting and R* bore his testimony. It was powerful and simple. He
spoke of the love of Christ and the beauty of repentance.
R* comes from such a humble background...he lives in a
very poor area which is notorious for drug abuse and crime. However, you would
think that he had won the lottery with how happy the past week of his life has
been—just because he returned to church. His story has been such a strong
example to me that anyone can be happy if they simply live two basic
principles—faith and repentance.
This past week I discovered a new pastime in
Fortaleza—making juice. Fruit here is so cheap because it is a very hot climate
and they grow oranges and coconuts like grass. So, I bought a hand-cranked
juicer for R$5 and every morning I juice ice-cold oranges to make the best
orange juice in the world. Elder S* and I have learned how to “milk” coconuts
and we are making liters of the juice. It is so good.
We started teaching an English class here. I have been
put in charge of the more advanced class (people who have already had a lot of
background in English). Therefore, the class is super fun. I think I have
learned more about English and Portuguese this past week than ever before in my
life. I have learned so many rules in English that I never realized existed.
Love,
Dave
P.S. This morning as I went to go take a shower, the entire wall was moving. I have never seen more ants in my life. These ants are about the size of the end of the thumb to the knuckle. They are huge and they bite. Let’s just say that it was the fastest shower I have ever taken....
No comments:
Post a Comment