Wow,
what a week! Last Saturday, Elder G* and I decided we wanted to do a day
of service and try to open the hearts of the people. We threw on our work
clothes and went to houses of people that we know. We ended up at F*’s
house and said, “We are here to do service.” At first, she was hesitant
and was too shy to ask for help. I then asked V*, her 11 year old son,
who is preparing for baptism, what we could do. He took us back to a room that was filled
bottom to top with just stuff--dust everywhere! We spent the next four
hours completely emptying it, cleaning, and organizing! Wow, so much fun!
I love manual labor! V* and I found a long metal pipe and I asked
him if he had ever heard of baseball. He hadn’t. This family lives
out in the boonies on a dirt road with just cows, dogs, and horses around.
I picked up a few good sized rocks and blasted them out towards the empty
pond. V* was mesmerized. He said "Wow! Can you show me how to do
that?" He picked up the metal pipe and I taught him soft-toss. He struggled for about 30 minutes and then,
what do you know! He is the next Babe Ruth!
He was blasting shots out into the "campo.” You should have
seen his face! This experience reminded me how much I love being a
missionary!
We
also had another great experience last week. We made contact with a lady who
owns a small lanchonete and sells fried food called salgados. They are
delicious. Even though neither she nor
her husband are interested in a new religion, they admire what we are doing. She told me, "Young man, your mother is
in a far-off land. If it were my son, I would want him to have a Mormon
Mom! Therefore, here, I am your Catholic Mom! Eat up!"
We got stuffed! Now, every day we walk past her lanchonete and she
gives us juice and food! They are pure Christians. The sincerity of
their hearts is marvelous.
By
the way, be very grateful for what you have! The water here in Canindé
has been completely exhausted. We can no longer wash clothes or shower
but, you know what, I love it! It is going to be a great story 10 years
down the road. We all stink and have to shower with the equivalent of a
liter of water out of a bucket. It is awesome! It reminds me of
scout camp!
I
invite you all to join my goal: enjoy all the small things! Because when
we do, it is impossible to be unhappy!
No comments:
Post a Comment