My experience in New Rochelle has been a challenge. My Portuguese is coming a little bit, but it is tough. People here speak English, and if they do speak Portuguese, they still want to practice their English. It is super tough. I've decided to just start memorizing my Portuguese Preach My Gospel because until I can be immersed in the language, there is no way I can carry on a full conversation (I can carry one on in Gospel terms, though, which is good!)
My ward is both Spanish and Portuguese. Only five Portuguese members. They are really awesome! They feed us so much Brazilian food! I am so fat! Elder Heraldo took us to Catalana, a Brazilian buffet, for lunch and stuffed us. There are these things called Cozinhas that are to die for! You'll have to try them sometime!
We have been working with a family in the ward that has many problems, mostly caused by alcohol abuse. This experience has brought me to my knees multiple times this past week to repent and strive to be better in serving those around me. In the words of Hermano Rodriguez in the ward, which he told me last night at dinner, "If you want to be happy in life, be a Mormon." He is from Guatemala and is one of the nicest, most humble individuals I have ever met. Agency is given to all--we must choose how we utilize it. I've come to realize that my agency has consequences that are both foreseeable and unforeseeable. It has definitely made me more cautious this past week in all that I do and say.
One of the most exciting things this week was that the whole mission was cleared to use Facebook and online proselyting! Even me, as a visa-waiter! So, as of today we can start video chatting, facebooking, etc. with anyone in the world who wants to learn more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This even includes friends and family that are less-active or not members--with the eventual goal of connecting them with the local missionaries in their area. After a meeting with Elder L. Tom Perry, President Morgan told us that the internet is the greatest and last tool to be used to spread the gospel before the coming of the Savior. Pretty powerful to think about it. It made me ponder the invention of the internet a lot: there is so much filth on the internet...but there must be opposition in all things. If this truly is the greatest tool for spreading the gospel in the last days--to all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people (including China!)--then it only makes sense that opposition to an ever growing missionary work would increase. It is such a miracle that all people throughout the world will be able to gain access to the gospel, no matter where they live. It should be exciting--once I go to Brazil I won't be able to use it until 2015 but it will be some good practice the next few weeks, months, or years that I may be in New York.
Cumpra o fe', com amor,
Elder Larkin
Hermana Calle's house
Making a cake for Hermana Calle's birthday. Elder Larkin's sister has taught him well :)



No comments:
Post a Comment