Thursday, December 18, 2014

December 13, 2014

An amusing experience:  This week we tried to organize a Family Home Evening with L*.  We made the appointment with S*, her sister, but we still needed to tell L*about the activity.  She lives in one of the toughest parts of Campo América and it is a true favela.  Elder T* called S*’s daughter to ask for her aunt’s number.  She laughed when he asked this and then said, chuckling, “Well, she doesn’t have a number but I have the number for the payphone in the middle of the favela!”  Elder T* thought, “Oh, why not?  Let’s try!”  He got the number and then thanked her.  He called the number and a woman answered.  He said, “Oi, L*?”  The woman said, “Who?” with a tone of anger.  He responded, “Hello, is L* there?”  She responded, “Oh, one minute.”  Then, in the background, Elder T* heard her yelling at the top of her lungs over the music blasting, “L*!  L*! L*!  Come here!  Phone!!!”  He heard some muffling in the background and then about 30 seconds later a female voice came on the phone and very happily said, “Ms. L*’s Residence.”  Elder T* just started laughing and then went on to tell her about the Family Home Evening.  This is a classic example of Brazil.  I don’t know how there is a payphone in the middle of the Jaguaribe Favela but, apparently, it is L*’s personal home phone in the middle of the street.

This week, we also went to lunch at Irmão R* and Irmã K*’s home.  They are a very simple family that knows how to live the gospel.  We had a good conversation.  R* makes his living by creating high quality surfboards in his home.  He is famous in Brazil for his surfboards.  As you walk into their home, all you see are countless surfboards.  This reflects the culture of Fortaleza so well—very laid back.

Yesterday, we had the opportunity to teach B*.  When we arrived, he asked us who our favorite prophets from the Book of Mormon were.  I decided that I would share one of my favorites.  I shared the story of Enos with him.  We had a very good conversation about the importance of diligence in the work of the Lord and in life.  It was really neat to hear the final prayer.  B* is very timid and shy and has a hard time socially.  However, he offered the final prayer.  He thanked the Lord for giving him “two sincere friends” and asked the Lord to bless us unconditionally.  He asked the Lord to permit this friendship to continue throughout eternity.  I was very touched by B*’s words.  He is a very sincere individual and I have learned a lot from him.

Elder Z* called me this afternoon explaining about the situation in Canindé.  He told me that he had been waiting for water for many hours and it still hadn’t arrived.  I told him I knew exactly what he was going through and that I felt so sorry for him.  Canindé is so tough.  He explained the feelings and sentiments that he is confronting right now and they are the very same ones I faced when I was there.  It was comforting for him to know he isn’t alone in the experience.  It is amazing how much a friendship can help life be a whole lot happier.

I love the Plan of Salvation.  It has become so real for me as I have been on my mission.  I have come to recognize that mortality is very short.  It makes perfect sense that the Lord created a Plan of Happiness.  It makes perfect sense that we would need to follow a Redeemer who would guide us safely home.



 Drinking coconut water with Elder "T"


The Beach


The streets of Fortaleza


Surf Shop in "R"s home

No comments:

Post a Comment