Monday, September 23, 2013


Friday 9/13/13

 

Today was pretty fun.  Elder Pousen and I “ball-contacted.”  There are basketball courts everywhere in the Bronx.  We were walking in Mott Haven and saw two twenty-year old, super athletic kids playing basketball.  We thought, why not ask if they want to hear a message?  We offered and they said no.  So, instead of walking away, we asked if they wanted to play a quick 2-on-2.  They laughed because “white  kids can’t play ball.”  But, I think they were quite shocked -- we went up 10-0.  Well, the game got close, I was driving down, did a spin/pop move, and drained a 10-footer.  The two guys looked amazed and one yelled, “Wow, preachers can ball!”  Poulsen and I just started laughing.  We lost 21-19, but let me just say that playing basketball in dress shoes hurts so much.  But, it was super fun.  Afterwards, they allowed us to share a message and give a Book of Mormon.  (Just for imagery, you should have seen this court -- rusty old hoop with metal-holed backboard, uneven floor -- like a rundown prison court, but it was awesome.)

 

The gospel is true!  The Atonement changes lives.  There is so much joy when serving others and seeing them progress.  Jesus is the Christ, and He will bring so much happiness, if we will let Him.
 
Here are some more pictures Dave has sent...
 


 Elder Poulsen helping Dave keep up on his Portuegse.

 
Dave trying to look smart by wearing Elder Poulsen's glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment